Wednesday, September 4, 2024

IWSG - September 2024

  

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
The awesome co-hosts for the September 4 September 4 posting of the IWSG
are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando!

QuestionSince it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

Haha Putting two spaces after a period. It took me forever to break that habit. But I did! And back in the olden days, the teachers actually had a special ruler so they could make sure you had the two spaces. Dang but this ages me. lol


 

12 comments:

  1. I did that when I first started writing as well. I wonder why there were two spaces back in the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember that the letters were all the same width, so I don't know if that had something to do with it.

      Delete
  2. I remember the two spaces after sentences rule too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing about writing, but I can tell you that in English classes in my country they often indoctrine a wrong meaning of certain English words into kids and that they use them wrongly all their lives. For example here, they teach us that SHOES are just shoes, instead of including everything you wear on your feet, or SHAWL is here taught as a woolen scarf, while it is actually what grannies wear around their shoulders etc. I once made a post about it at Facebook and it went viral in my country with hundreds of shares around the net LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! I guess a lot of people really felt it. lol

      The differences in English in countries is fun too. Like a jumper in England is what we'd call a cardigan. A jumper here is a dress a girl wears over a blouse. lol

      Delete
  4. Two spaces come from the days of typewriters, when sometimes the print made it difficult to distinguish between the comma and the full stop. Two spaces indicated the end of a sentence. Also took me ages to break the habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. It answers Alex's question. :D

      Delete
  5. Two spaces--I forgot about that! That was a hard one to break. Thank heavens for computers and the "find and replace" feature.🤣

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two spaces after the period is not wrong. I know a few people who still does it. But I guess we have to stay up to date. Though now some people don't evne use periods in their writing so.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Punctuation is important for clarity! It can change the meaning.

      Delete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...