Wednesday, January 8, 2020

IWSG - January 2020


Option Question: What started you on your writing journey? Was it a particular book, movie, story, or series? Was it a teacher/coach/spouse/friend/parent? Did you just "know" suddenly you wanted to write?

Ten years ago this month, I did a personal NaNoWriMo just to see if I could finish a full-length novel. In January of 2010, I wrote 80,000 words while working full time. And enjoyed it so much I couldn't stop writing.

It took 14 rewrites, learning all the way, before I submitted it for possible publication. I received an R&R and did another major rewrite. And received an offer. The book published in June 2013. I've written a lot of books since then, some award-winning.

I've obviously gotten faster, but it's taken a long time to get here. In many ways I miss the longer process because I got to know and love those characters in my first book so much.

21 comments:

  1. Nothing like a NaNo deadline to motivate you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which of your books has been the most successful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My billionaire series. I think they've run their course though, so I don't know how much longer that will last.

      Delete
  3. Whereas I love the idea of Nano I've taken part twice and failed both times. Life got in the way, so kudos to you writng 80k in a month whilst still working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I failed my first official time too. If you like the structure of an official event, you might consider doing a Camp NaNo which is done in April and July, I believe.

      Delete
  4. I like your idea of just choosing a month to do NaNoWriMo. Why not? So if you don't mind I'm going to 'steal' it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at where it's taken you!!! NaNo is a good place to start. It taught me that I can write a book in a month, which means I can do it any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, and it taught me that I'm a pantser. That first (horrible) draft is really my very detailed outline. :D

      Delete
  6. That's awesome you did your own NaNo. And you've consistently written since then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never done Nano. The idea of trying to write 50k words in a month is too daunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like eating an elephant--one bite at a time. The idea is to just get the story down, not strive for perfection.

      Delete
  8. I love that you did a personal NaNo. And look, you were able to be so productive and get a book out of it. I've tried to do NaNo and then a personal one. I've just never been able to get it done. I did get half of my MG novel that's published done during one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People feel bad about not "winning" NaNo, meaning they didn't hit the 50k word mark in the required time. But it's trying that stretches us, so I count that as a win.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It just fits my pantser by letting get out a 50k first draft that's really just a detailed outline.

      Delete
  10. I'm late making the rounds, but congratulations on your newsletter spotlight.
    It's cool that NANO helped you to start writing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...