Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Wednesday Wandering - Piracy

I attended a retreat this past weekend and got a lot of work done. Kevin J. Anderson (of Star Wars, Dune, etc. fame) was the author in residence. 


Kevin mentioned how sales impact whether a series will ever be finished.

That made me think of a discussion in a Facebook group where they were getting hold of ARCs that they then sold. 

It, in turn, reminded me of this article by Maggie Stiefvater about a test she did with fake ARCs to show how piracy impacted her sales. 

I'd heard that piracy doesn't really hurt us. This kind of blew my mind. It's compelling and freaking scary. 

If you haven't read this yet, you'll want to.






8 comments:

  1. Great author to have at a retreat.
    That is scary about piracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a good time at the retreat. Sad that people get ARCs and sell them and engage in other piracy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great author to have there indeed.

    Wow, piracy really can screw with a series. I never got the point in pirating books, most aren't that expensive. Those ARCS seem to get out no matter what medium it is though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what part of the writing I hate most- marketing or piracy. There are just too many places to scour to keep your book from being downloaded for free. And most readers don't even realize the places aren't legitimate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you had such a good, productive time at the retreat! I'll have to take a look at that post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My publisher is doing Stiefvater in my country, and I'm covering Laini Taylor, Holly Black and Cassandra Claire for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All very pertinent stuff. I know that my book series continue based on whether the publisher wishes to continue them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I blogged about piracy and Blasty last week. Blasty's one tool to help in the fight, but I'm skeptical that we can ever stop it with the Internet on the loose.

    ReplyDelete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...