Monday, February 11, 2013

Blue Sky by Melissa Lemon

WHAT IT'S ABOUT:
Sunny is bereaving the sudden death of her parents. Lewis is a homeless runaway seeking shelter in Sunny's basement from an early winter storm. When they unexpectedly meet, Sunny wants nothing more than to kill him. After a bizarre hostage situation and a poker game, Sunny realizes that Lewis isn't out to hurt her. Their initial distaste turns to friendship and love, but Sunny isn't keen on starting a relationship with a man she knows so little about. Lewis is loyal, and his patience paramount. Sunny is hesitant but her love runs deep and true. They are separated unwillingly, and must struggle and face overwhelming odds to find each other again.

MY TAKE:
I really liked Lewis. I kept wondering when we'd find out what would drive a young man like him from home and to the streets. My heart went out to him when I finally found out. The issue of being homeless in the winter is brought very much to life.

It made me even more irritated with Sunny for her hot and cold treatment of him. While her erratic behavior--considering what she'd just been through and what an emotional mess she was--could be excused somewhat, it still totally messed with poor Lewis's head. Her behavior was also consistent with the way I see real girls treat real guys all the time, cluelessly sending mixed signals.

I thought Lewis's brother Jack was hilarious. I would love to see Melissa write another novel that takes on his story.


Melissa has had many imaginary friends (and enemies) since she was a child. Her vivid imagination had her writing stories and jotting down book ideas for years until she finally sat down and finished a novel. She is married to an awesome man and the proud mother of three children. Music is also an important part of her life and she shares time with her music students teaching them piano, cello or guitar. Melissa is a graduate of the University of Utah and currently resides in the Salt Lake area.

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. Lewis definitely sounds like the more sympathetic character here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Cluelessly sending mixed signals" - oh yeah, girls do that!!
    Congratulations, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to think only immature females send clueless mixed signals but some females never outgrow it.

    Nice review. I like the title of this one.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, Donna. Sounds like an interesting premise for a story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting premise. That's not how most book couples meet. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, sounds like something I might actually like! Thanks Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great review! Thanks for posting . . . I hadn't heard of this one yet:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a worthy read Donna.

    And any book that makes you cheer for characters and be irritated at others, I'd say the author accomplished reader engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good mix of conflict and character development. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its great to meet Melissa and best wishes to her and Blue Sky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh! I'm going to have to stop coming around or live forever to finish off my TBR list. This sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds interesting! No we NEVER give off mixed signals. And by the way, Honey, why didn't you get me anything for my birthday? What? I said that? Well I meant....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like the characters are really well done!

    ReplyDelete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...