Saturday, April 21, 2012

A to Z - StarCraft

I'm part of a gaming family. We love board games, but we really love video games. One that's sucked us all in is StarCraft. We got to play missions that follow a storyline and reached a conclusion. There are three races--Terrans, Zerg, and Protoss--and you got to play as all three. We had a LAN, so we could play with/against each other. Then there was Battlenet, where you could get online and play with/against people all over the world. And there was the ability to make your own levels.

It began with the StarCraft game and one of the characters, Sarah Kerrigan, is overrun by the Zerg.

In the expansion set BroodWar you find out that your enemy is now led by Kerrigan--who's been taken over and made to become a Terran/Zerg hybrid.





And we had to wait something like ten or twelve years before StarCraft II came.



Oh, my freakin' heck! Love this new version. Blizzard doesn't do anything halfway, and their graphics are awesome as is the storyline. The guy in the picture above is Raynor, who was a main character from the earlier editions. And, who we discover, was in love with Kerrigan, who he's determined to defeat.

Now they've upped the ante. Brilliant because it involves you even more in the characters. It's not just a game about strategy and battles, it's now got heart. I must confess to crushing a little on Raynor's haunted character in this version.

This time Blizzard is releasing three different campaigns. This first one is the Terran campaign. I'm not sure who they'll release next, but with the little romance going on, my guess is it'll be Protoss. They'll want to save the Zerg for last . . . especially now that there're hints a human taken over by the Zerg can be restored.

Are you a gamer? Board games? Video games--even if it's Farmville on Facebook? What appeals to you about the games you play?


13 comments:

  1. Great S word.
    One can get much pleasure from board and video games. Most interesting to read.

    Yvonne,.

    ReplyDelete
  2. trekking your blog!!! hahaha!! i enjoyed playing starcraft when i was in high school.

    cheers!
    ..TREK..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I were more into games since they're so fun; they also stimulate my mind. If I play games these days they're ones from my childhood. I play Mario, Tetris, Pac-Man, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I play many a videogame too. Never tried Starcraft, as it's mostly xbox ones for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first date with the hubs was a video game date. It was the best first date I ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so out of my element when it comes to video games. I have a feeling it's a good thing I've never really explored them. I might easily get addicted to playing those fantasy based games.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We like to play games as well...each Christmas we get a new game to play together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a Starcraft junkie!!!! Best computer game ever. And the twelve year wait was so unfair. (Of course, they've made us wait thirteen years now for the next Diablo installment.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy Kerrigan? Like the skater Nancy Kerrigan? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely a gamer, but I couldn't get into the strategy games. Everyone always picks on me and overruns my camps, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must confess. I am a game fail. I even killed off dozens of fish when I tried to play one of those aquarium games on Facebook but got too preoccupied with writing and blogging lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love old-fashioned Nintendo games. I think it is awesome that your family plays together. I hope someday when I have a family that we can be like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Hubs and boys are much more the gamers than I am. I used to code for and play a MUD (text-based game) until I woke up one day after seeing the sun rise over my computer and I realized that I'd missed my daughter's babyhood 'mudding'. I visited a few times for a little while, but I never really went back. I sure have a killer area on a disc somewhere, though. I had an oubliette you had to quit the game to get out of. And a killer sledding hill for which you needed to have great dexterity to get up...;o) It was a beautiful area. Loads of work on it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...