Wednesday, March 6, 2024

IWSG - March 2024

  

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!
Co-hosts for the March 6th are

QuestionHave you "played" with AI to write those nasty synopses, or do you refuse to go that route? How do you feel about AI's impact on creative writing?

The simple answer is Yes. If you've researched anything on Google or Bing, AI's participated in your search. If you use ProWritingAid (and I'm guessing Grammarly uses it too) to check for grammar or style corrections, you've used AI. Photoshop uses it too now, though they say they use only their own stock of owned pictures as sources. 

I love using ChatGPT for my blurbs. I'm kind of awful at writing them. While I put emotion in my books, I tend to be "dry" with the blurbs. And ChatGPT is sooo drama! I find it really over the top. But it uses words or phrases I sometimes can use (toned down).

What I really like is using AI to brainstorm with. Or to help with the description of a scene I'm fighting with. I may give it a section of text and tell it to rewrite it using all five senses. Then I can go through what it suggests and see if there's anything in the words it uses that I like. This isn't all that different from when I would use the website resources (from The Emotion Thesaurus gals) for this kind of thing.

The key is that it's a resource for me to strengthen my writing or make the research a little faster. When I was writing a scene in a book that released last year, I needed some kind of business for another character. I  could spend hours checking the types of businesses on online stores, but ChatGPT gave me a huge list of possibilities. Just like that.

I used to spend a week formatting my paperback books in Word once I had my ebook done. Now I have Vellum that does it with with a simple click. That tool has given me back a week of my life for every book I release.

And that's what AI is to me. A tool.

What about you? Do you agree or feel differently?



14 comments:

  1. Seems like the consensus is that AI has it's uses. And yes, we are all already using it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see where it would help with suggestions that might give us ideas on our own. I just don't want to see it used to write a whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I boo and spit on AI and it needs to be taken down and outlawed otherwise it will soon take over the world, we must fight back while we can and save our lives LOOL On the other hand I constantly hit likes on AI generated cats and pups over at Facebook LOOOOOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you do! lol You create some fun images with AI.

      Delete
  4. Brainstorming would be nice. One day, I'll try it out!

    PS: My blog feed has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that Al can be a tool for the tasks you mention. I use it at work all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be like when machines were built to help with simple tasks (vacuum cleaners, for example). It can make life easier.

      Delete
  6. Research is a great way to use it. I could use it to research reviewers for DLP's books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I have used AI, because I use Google search all the time! You raise some interesting points in favor of using AI in your writing. Meanwhile, I just stick to creating my stories on my own, other than researching information. I hope you've enjoyed IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fundy Blue. And yes, we find out comfort zone with any new technology.

      Delete
  8. You gave me a lot to think about. I didn't know vellum did formatting (add a duh here, probably) and I've never tried any of the AI platforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to learn how to talk to it. I can see jobs being created around using AI because there's a skill to posing the right questions.

      Delete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...