Wednesday, October 5, 2022

IWSG - October 2022

  


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Co-hosts for the October 5th are
Tonja Drecker, Victoria Marie Lees, Mary Aalgaard, and Sandra Cox!

Question: What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre?

This is an interesting question since I enjoy many different genres. Something I look for, though, is a romantic element. Personally, I think it ups the stakes because the main characters have more to lose.

I mean, look at the Bourne series. I'm not talking about the films with Matt Damon; I mean Ludlum's books (the three written by him). There was a very strong romantic element in those, one that ran through the series (and made me nuts that they killed off Marie in the movies!!!!!) The important thing is that Marie (and the family they created together) became his rock. 

So, I guess I'm saying that one of the characteristics of any genre I read is a solid emotional connection, whether familial, friendship, or romance. And it can be sci-fi, fantasy, cozy mystery, contemporary or historical.


18 comments:

  1. I think people in general crave the stability of love and family. Family is a strong element in my series. We all need that rock. (Or two!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting that I prefer the books without the romantic element. I also don't care much about family as I've never had one, so I prefer good and strong characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are important too. If I don't care about the characters, then I stop reading.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you. I love a romantic element in movies and books, no matter what the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both, with and without romance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never conquered romance as a genre, but enjoy adding it to my stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! We don't have to write something to be able to enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  6. Without any emotional stakes, it's hard to invest in the characters. Doesn't have to be romance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like both ends as long as the characters can show realistic emotions, which hit home. Romance always hits the heart strings nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Realistic. It bothers me (sometimes a lot) when characters are over-the-top in their emotional (and physical) responses to the love interest, especially when it happens in the meet cute. Because where can they go from there?

      Delete
  8. Yes! All stories need life or death stakes, literally or figuratively. Conflict is what makes a story, in the end. Happy ISWG day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My hubby always complains about why the people have to deal with so much. I tell him they have to earn their satisfying ending.

      Delete
  9. I totally agree about Marie in the books. She was my favorite character. I was furious they killed her in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? You should have heard me rant to my hubby when they pulled that. lol

      Delete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...