Saturday, December 26, 2015

Ironic Gifts

Where I'm at.
Where I wish I were.
I'm still deep in the editing trenches, and then I have an anthology submission to complete. I'll remain on hiatus through the end of January.

However, I wanted to share an experience I had the Christmas I was sixteen. We'd lost my mom eighteen months earlier, and my dad's mother had come to live with us to help care for me and my little sister who was eight years younger than me.

That year was my first exposure to something I call ironic gifts
  • My grandmother gave me a five-pound box of candy. 
  • My father gave me a set of bath scales.
So, at the end of this gift-giving season, what is the most ironic gift combination you've ever received or seen. Or maybe even given?

And Happy New Year!

11 comments:

  1. Merry Holidays, Donna!
    We haven't seen any snow yet here this year!
    Sad to hear you lost your mother so early!
    My late dad once brought me books for fourth grade, even though I was the fifth :) And my mother used to give useless cheap gifts which you can just throw away immediately. But they both had a tendency of forgetting all the big occasions and events :) so I was used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for a few flurries in mid-October and one dusting that barely qualifies as that, we have seen no snow out here. Can't think of any ironic gifts, but hope you had a great Christmas, and best of luck with the work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Supposed to get that snow tomorrow here, ugg to that. lol can't recall any gifts as ironic as that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're used to a bit more snow up in Canada, aren't you?

      Delete
  4. That's an interesting combination. I know I've received ironic gifts before, but I can't remember exactly what I received. At least you got a white Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some parts of the country have had crazy warm winter weather so far.

      Delete
  5. Those gifts are awesome! Haha.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...