Friday, December 10, 2010

Writing ... and Learning

From this post
I've been hoping to take a creative writing class this Fall, and I'm a little frustrated. I'm on the waitlist for my class (which is a prerequisite for the class I'd really like to take). As I get closer to the start of the semester, and I'm realizing I might not get in, I'm ready to pull my hair out! I'm faced with serious logistics problems if I have to wait until next semester to take the class. I've got a grandbaby coming in February which will require time away AND Ed and I are doing on a cruise with his brother and sister-in-law in April--about the time I'd be in finals. That makes it less likely I'll be able to take a class next semester.

So it could actually be summer 2011 before I can take the dang class.

Oh. It might actually be fall 2011, since I'm slated to go to LeakyCon11 in July of 2011. Ugh! So much to do and so little time!

I did sign up to take a continuing education class online from BYU--though I'm not sure what to think of the first writing assignment. I'm supposed to grade it myself. Huh? I was provided with criteria for the grading, but I'm hardly unbiased. *sigh* I'll have to see how it goes. I warned my son Paul that he may have to grade it using the criteria, too.

I've also signed up to take a session at UVU called The Book Academy, which is an all-day seminar. Should be interesting -- I hope.

I was searching for some hints on a writing issue I was struggling with, and I came across this blog post. I'd seen his blog before because a friend in Australia (hey Donna!) linked to it on her site. But this particular installment of Nathan's (and especially the comments of his readers) was very informative.

Learning how to write well (I hope that's the end result anyway) is sure a lot of work. Especially a lot of work, considering that I started down this path, so I can do a better job, when I write my personal history as part of doing my genealogy.

If I wasn't having so dang much fun, I might be tempted to give it up. I just wish I'd started all this when I was younger. I'm so worried I won't come up with a finished project before I die.

How's that for a morbid thought?

Oh, well. If it exercises the gray matter, it's gotta be a good thing. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments brighten my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...